Monolith Mural
This mural is about the history of the Monolith Cement Plant on the outskirts of Tehachapi, CA. Tehachapi is in a large valley in the mountains between the southern end of California's San Joaquin Valley and the Mojave Desert to the east. The plant was built by the City of Los Angeles in 1908 to provide cement for the construction of the Los Angeles Aqueduct, bringing water to Southern California from Northern California. The mural is painted as part of the plant's Centennial celebration (1908-2008). The plant is still in operation today although the name has changed.

When the plant was built the City constructed a company town, also named Monolilth, adjacent to the plant complete with a store, post office, schoolhouse, park, and other amenities for the workers and their families. Many generations of Tehachapi residents worked at the plant and lived in the company town, which was demolished in the 1970s. The plant has been a large part of the life of the Tehachapi Valley for 100 years now, and the mural honors this and illustrates its history.  
Click on an image to see full page

   Monolith Mural
   15 x 72 feet, acrylic, August, 2008
   Tehachapi, California